Whether you’re a student or a professional, cleaning your computer is an unavoidable task for everyone. If you use it, you need to clean it frequently. The aim is to keep the dust away and maintain the smooth performance of all the internal and external components.
Cleaning your computer regularly helps keep it in good working condition for a longer period. You face fewer functional discrepancies when you take care of your digital devices. Having all the tools handy makes cleaning tasks easier.
So, what things do you need to have in your computer cleaning kit? Let’s first understand why you need to clean your computer.
Why Does Your Computer Need a Cleanup?
Users normally oversee the importance of cleaning the computer regularly because they don’t realize it. However, a dirty computer not only has tangible effects on your computer but makes it look messy.
In the beginning, the dust will accumulate on the outer component, and slowly it will make its way toward the inner chamber of the desktop or laptop. The latter can have a more scary outcome. Here are some of the few things you can experience with a dirty computer.
- Over time, the dust that builds up inside the computer will clog the air vents making it difficult for the fans to dissipate heat. This can result in overheating.
- All of a sudden, when the fan inside the computer stops spinning at the normal pace, the performance degrades, and you can notice a gradual loss of productivity.
- Excessive dirt inside the delicate computer parts shortens the lifespan of the device, and you need to spend additionally on repair and replacements.
- A dirty computer, peripherals, or other digital devices can produce bacteria and germs that can make you sick.
- Dust build-up on the keypad can interrupt the smooth functioning of the keys, which impacts your typing speed and slows down your workflow.
If your device starts to heat up constantly, install a laptop stand to ensure a smooth flow of air through the vents. This can help with fixing Macbook fan noise for instance. You will have fewer worries and distractions while using the device.
What Are the Supplies You Need for Proper Cleanup?
Knowing the things that could help you clean your computer thoroughly can make the process easy.
- Microfiber cloth: Make sure that the cloth you use to clean your computer and its components is lint-free. The microfibre cloth will absorb liquid, preventing it from slipping into the internal panels of the device.
- Compressed air can: Excessive dirt that accumulates inside the major and minor components inside the computer is hard to remove. Using compressed air can help blow air gently into various parts to remove dust.
- Glass cleaner or water: Pick a glass cleaner to clean the screen, but make sure it’s not alcohol-based. Plain water can also do the trick when you are looking to clean your computer, including peripherals, thoroughly.
- Cleaning wipes: Another important component that you must have in your computer cleaning kit is the wipes. After removing excessive dust, clean all the components with a disinfectant wipe to keep them germ-free.
- Screwdriver: When cleaning your computer, you would need to open various screws to open the rear panels. This allows for thorough cleaning of the internal parts of the computer, such as the logic board, fan, and so on.
- Q-tips: Cleaning your computer after a long time can result in building up excessive dust that can be hard to remove. Using cotton buds can help you remove dust from difficult-to-reach areas.
General Computer Cleaning Tips
Dust isn’t just annoying; it can damage the internal and external parts of your computer beyond repair. By keeping your computer clean, you can save hundreds of dollars that you otherwise spend repairing the components.
Here are several general computer cleaning tips that you must keep in mind while removing dust and dirt from various components of the device.
- Unplug all the power cables from the power outlets.
- Use a lint-free microfiber cloth to clean the components.
- Spray the cleaning solution on the cloth and avoid spraying it directly on the screen.
- Do not submerge components excessively in the cleaning solution; use mild volumes.
- Avoid wiping things excessively, as it can damage computer parts or remove any coatings.
- Never use abrasive solutions such as bleach or aerosol cleaners.
- Ensure cleaning sprays won’t get into the internal parts to avoid damage.
When cleaning your computer, make sure to clean all surrounding elements, such as cables and wires or cable clips. Also, spend time organizing your desk by cleaning everything from your pen stand to the document organizer and other components. However, make sure to be gentle when cleaning your computer and the computer desk to avoid damage.